color photo of library room

Original location of Treadwell Library

Until 1893, the Treadwell Library occupied parts of this suite. The hospital’s first library was established in 1847 by a group of physicians and was maintained by the House Apothecary. Upon the donation of 2,500 books and a $5,000 book purchasing endowment by Dr. John G. Treadwell, the Treadwell Library received its name. In 1893, the library moved to the area now occupied by the Trustees Room, and Grace Whiting Myers was hired as Treadwell Library’s first full-time professional librarian in 1897.