black & white photo of a man sitting in fron of a large device with a cylinder resting on his right arm

Potential site of Dodd’s X-ray

Walter J. Dodd, then MGH apothecary, began his experiments with X-ray technology in 1896, in the Neurological Outpatient Department of the now-demolished Gay Ward. Work quickly moved to the small photography studio called the Kingsley Studio, at the west end of Bulfinch. From 1897 to 1900, the X-ray machines were housed in the two small interior rooms at either side of the corridor leading to the “Student’s Entrance” on the ground floor of Bulfinch.