A walled-off pit with wood and concrete inside.

What remains of the wharf

This view is taken from the Bulfinch lawn, looking down below ground level. The stone fragment visible is what remains of one of two of the hospital’s original wharves, which served as landings for patients and supplies arriving at the hospital by boat. Although many patients arrived by foot or by carriage, at that time river travel was often the most convenient and reliable means of transportation. Until about 1860, the edge of the Charles River extended to this area, but its riverbank and muddy tidal flats were gradually filled in by the city, eventually changing its course to run nearly 1,000 feet to the west of the hospital.