In 1916, under the auspices of the American Red Cross, a Base Hospital group was organized at the MGH in case of war. Within a year, the unit was activated, and many MGH nurses and physicians sailed for France for nearly two years of active duty at U.S. Army Base Hospital No. 6. Shown in uniform in the above photographs are (top) Sara E. Parsons, Superintendent of Nurses, and (bottom, left to right) Drs. Joseph C. Aub and Paul Dudley White.