The Edward P. Lawrence Center for Quality and Safety was established in 2007 to foster quality and safety initiatives at MGH and the Massachusetts General Physicians Organization.
The department is named after Edward P. Lawrence, Esq., chair of the MGH Board of Trustees from 1999 to 2008, a steadfast advocate for the ongoing promotion of quality and safety across the hospital. During his tenure, he championed quality and safety efforts and encouraged quantifiable results in patient-focused areas.
Lawrence’s service to the MGH is a family tradition. His grandmother, Marion Lee Lawrence, was a longtime member of the Ladies Visiting Committee and served as chair of the committee before her death in 1935. Lawrence House, located at the entrance to the hospital on North Grove Street, was named for his uncle, John E. Lawrence, who served also as chair of the MGH Board of Trustees and was an honorary trustee and generous supporter of the hospital.