1821 line engraving

Approximate site of beginning of 1846 extension

Construction of the Bulfinch Building resumed almost as soon as it was officially “completed.” In 1846 and 1847, west and east wings were added to the building to increase the number of potential patient beds. The images at left and below shows what the original Bulfinch would have looked like before and after these additions.

1847 line engraving